Tuesday, April 9, 2013

You, Who Was I



Arms couldn’t hold. Eyes couldn’t hold.
Memories? There were none.
The surgeon dressed me for Halloween:
flour sack, doilies, shower cap.

You, he whispered in my ear, dear, you are not well.
Your baby, not well. But I wrapped his whole life,
I said. He was water, I was a well.
For days I pushed around a bell.

He repeated the part about baby, oh dear not well.
So I said: Cut! So he said: Cut!
Then I said: Wait! We didn’t have a date!
And he said: I’ll be careful! I know which parts!
And I said: cut him out, but will he be yours?
                                          
He didn’t think that was funny. Gave me a fan,
and we waltzed. A strange body commingled,
parts scuttled, and cackled, and jingled;
some, like family in an exam room, ended up by a curtain,
others, in the parallel world, where the surgical team
giggled re: football. This was so routine.
In five minutes, I was handed a person.

Unfathomable, cinnamon-hued, blue-
eyed, huge for his age. Specific and true.
Eyes couldn’t hold. What did I think I knew?
Soft burning heat of a world passing through.

We’ll have so much fun, I said to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment